Pages


Friday, July 12, 2013

NIGERIAN ARTISTS TO SHINE YOUR EYES FOR

"You want to go to study acting? ehn? For where? with my money?.. If after you go to the university and study medicine and want to become an actress that one is your business, but not with my money, you understand?" My mother said....
"Yes mummy," I said..
That was the beginning of my many crushed dreams. I still think i'll become a Nollywood star someday, because I have the nook for it and don't think it's ridiculous. Judge me all you want, more or less. The problem is, I still have to wait a little longer and while I wait, I have my interest dug and buried in the Nigerian Entertainment Industry. Lately, I have noticed some people that have peeked my interest and here they are:

(P.S You might want to pause the playlist at the top)


Bobby Obodo

If you have not heard of him by now, you are on a long thing... A Delta state man, born and raised in Warri, who later traveled to Canada at the age of 21 to further his schooling. Obodo sneaked into the Nollywood Industry in 2011. Already starred in about nine movie, Obodo has scored leading roles alongside big stars like Genevieve Nnaji, Ini Edo, Ime Bishop Umoh, Ramsey Nouah, Monalis Chinda and Uche Jombo. 

  Obodo in past interviews, has credited Ini Edo for encouraging him to get into acting and even introduced him to Emem Isong, one of Nigerian's finest producers. Despite that fact, don't get it twisted Bobby Obodo has earned his place and is still earning his place in the acting industry. Having seen about five of his movie which are Weekend Getaway, Mrs. Somebody, Misplaced, My Life, My Damage, The Volunteers, I can confidently tell you, he is the one to watch out for. With the exception of Weekend Getaway sincerely, which I suspect was his first movie, Obodo has proven to be an actor, who portrays his roles simplicity, realistically and very detailed. If you have an eye for picking the small stuff that makes a character, you will enjoy the little details he adds into his portrayals that will make you go "Oh wow, I do that too." His toned, muscular body adorned with tattoos just makes for a good topping for his talent. (you better appreciate the great lengths I went, not to plainly say that 'he is damn fine')




Emma Nyra

Nyra was born and bred in Texas, USA, with her parents from Delta State. Just a while ago,  Nyra was just a small town girl, performing in New York's Nigerian parade, while racking fans to her side. Taking a risk, Emma Nyra moved to Nigeria and got featured on the hit song 'Ur Waist' by Iyanya. Emma Nyra is now the first lady of MMG, with Iyanya also signed to the same label. Like play, like play oh, she just concluded touring with Iyanya, while debuting her songs Ori Mi Wu, Kere Shere (My Favorite of her songs) adding to her single, Everything I do. Emma Nyra fascinates me because although she is consistently working and putting herself out there, the reception to her music has been lukewarm. Based on comments, reviews and acceptance all taken into consideration, my research reveals that not alot of Nigerian are accepting of her music and fashion choices, at least not publicly. Even though she is basically following the formula used by Nigerian artists (great beats, simple lyrics, auto tuning etc ), the acceptance has been lukewarm. Having said that, keep in mind that the Nigerian Industry has fewer female musicians, maybe because of this sort of treatment. In an industry where record sales don't bring in bulk of the money, Nyra is lucky because I think she is a performer.


One thing that cannot be denied is that Nyra has won over most of her fan base from shows and tours, because they always leave proclaiming her humbleness, humor, kindness, and dance skills, like i said she is a performer! Either way she is the one to watch for, cause her journey can be a formula of what to do or what not to do in the industry. This belle has alot of time on her side to convince more fans to hop on the bandwagon, anyway. Her persistence despite the negativity makes her the one to look out for. 





 Uru Eke



Already featured on CNN (Inside Africa Program), and starred in top Nollywood films like Last Flight to Abuja, Weekend getaway and many more, she is a force of reckon with. Uru Eke was born in East London, but is from Imo state (Yep! i'm claiming her somehow, #teamimosstate). She starred in her first movie movie in 2005, but left and returned in 2011. I discovered Uru Eke in Weekend Getaway and she amazed me. She reminded me of the first time I saw Nse Ipke Etim and I called it, I called that she was going to be one of the top actresses in Nigeria. Just like Bobby Obodo, Eke invest in her characters, she doesn't perform but transforms into that character, making the use of sensory memory easier! Welp,  Uru Eke has expressed her interest to be in the top five actresses in Nigeria list, and without anymore writing, I think she is very well on her way to take that crown. To find out more about her, check out her website  urueke.com


















There you go, remember I called it!

(If you think someone deserves to be on this list, email me at presdom2000@yahoo.com and i'll consider it)

No comments:

Post a Comment